Visualized: Global Hydrogen Imports and Exports
As of 2019, hydrogen is one of the most imported/exported products globally with trades totaling nearly $10 billion.
- By 2050, the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) estimates hydrogen to cover 12% of global energy use by 2050. Cross-border trade could account for 30% of the total hydrogen market.
- According to the IEA, hydrogen has to grow 140% by 2030 to reach net zero.
- Future uses of hydrogen include buildings, power, ammonia, and transportation.
- Refineries consume 45% of global hydrogen production
- ~35% of hydrogen is used for to make ammonia
- Methanol production uses roughly 15% of hydrogen around the world